February 20, 2020
STATEMENT OF INCLUSION
The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto (LIFT) is a community space for those working in film and media related practices. As part of the LIFT community we seek to ensure your safety and that your needs are met.
LIFT’s values influence not only our programming decisions, but they act as guidelines for the people who populate our ever-growing and changing community of artists.
They are outlined as follows:
• Diversity in all its manifestations, including race, ethnicity, language, gender identity, sexuality, class, age, disability, immigration status, film genre and level of experience as a filmmaker.
• Affordable and equitable access to services and programs that minimize economic barriers to creating films.
• The materiality and technology of working with celluloid as a medium.
• Developing and cultivating the “cinematic” qualities within digital cinema and new platforms.
• Serving as a community hub for filmmakers and artists.
• Providing quality service to an engaged and participatory membership.
• Providing a space for diverse communities to produce representations on their own terms.
As a community organization we strive to ensure a safe and equitable space for all. We ask that those who use and visit LIFT’s space (staff, members, workshop participants, instructors, and other visitors) remain mindful, and take responsibility for speech and behavior.
For that to be possible, please remember to:
• Always act out of respect and concern for the well-being and free expression of others
• Actively listen to others and remember to not dominate discussions
• Respect physical and emotional boundaries
• Not making assumptions about identity, experiences, or preferred pronouns
CODE OF CONDUCT
The behaviour of those in the LIFT community should reflect the same values on which LIFT was founded: namely, to foster an inclusive and diverse safe space to all those interested in learning and experimenting with the practice of filmmaking. The existence of this policy is meant to create a safer space for all who use it as outlined in the Ontario Human Rights Code and other legislation which prohibit discrimination and harassment in the workplace.
Any questions regarding LIFT’s Statement of Inclusion of the Code of Conduct may be sent to the Board of Directors at email@example.com