416.588.6444 | 1137 Dupont Street Toronto, Ontario M6H 2A3 Canada | MONDAY-FRIDAY, 10AM-6PM
Equipment and Facilities Rental Policy
Updated February 2016
Equipment Pick-Ups: 2:00pm - 5:00pm (Day before shooting date)
Equipment Returns: 10:00am - 12:00noon (Day after shooting date)
LIFT bills weekends as 1.5 days (Friday to Monday), and weekly (7 days) rentals at 4 days.
LIFT does not rent to non-members under any circumstances.
All Production members and/or representatives from Organizational members coming to pick-up gear must provide a current photo ID (valid driver's license or passport, NO health cards).
All inquiries can be sent to the Technical Administrator at tech(at)lift.on.ca
BEFORE YOU RENT EQUIPMENT
1. The use of LIFT equipment and facilities constitutes a form of production assistance to the filmmaker by LIFT, and as such LIFT must be fully acknowledged and credited in the title and/or credit sequence of any film, video, or new media production receiving such assistance. Logos are available in the about section of the LIFT website.
2. Every member must demonstrate adequate technical competence to the satisfaction of the Technical Coordinator on each piece of LIFT equipment they wish to rent. This may include a written or hands on proficiency test.
3. Members who do not possess sufficient knowledge or experience to operate a piece of LIFT equipment that they wish to rent must take an orientation session and a test on that piece of equipment. Fees for an orientation session are $50 per hour with a 2 hours minimum per orientation. Requests for orientations should be made one week in advance of date needed. LIFT also provides three seasons of workshops per year offering a wide range of classes covering all equipment available through LIFT.
4. Members wishing to rent the Arri SR II, Arri III, Arri BL4, Aaton XTR Prod, Sony F3, RED Epic Mysterium-X, and/or any PL mount lenses must be and/or employ an experienced camera operator. Operators are subject to a hands-on proficiency test. This test must be booked in advance with the Technical Administrator. The test will be waived for current members of a Motion Picture Department union, provided proof of union membership and a copy of their cinematography resume shown to the Technical staff. Technical Coordinators will make the final judgment on whether the camera operator will be put on the "User Lists" and granted usage of the equipment.
5. We encourage all equipment renters to come in to test the equipment prior to the rental date. Camera renters (especially renters of the Arri III, Arri BL4, Arri SR II, Aaton XTR Prod and RED Epic Mysterium-X) are encouraged to perform lens and registration tests on the camera one week prior to the rental date. There is no rental cost for doing tests in house. Members should call the Technical Administrator to book equipment and space at LIFT to perform the camera tests. Testing must be done during office hours and cannot exceed 4 hours.
6. Members wishing to take LIFT equipment outside Canada, or wishing to transport LIFT equipment by air, must seek pre-approval and consult with the LIFT staff to find out how to make necessary insurance, customs, and shipping arrangements prior to booking the equipment.
7. Any member wishing to book equipment for a period longer than two (2) weeks must make a request via email. Decisions on long-term rentals are at the discretion of the LIFT staff.
8. No member shall have full access to LIFT equipment for a production in which she does not maintain copyright and have creative control. LIFT equipment cannot be used on commercial productions. Production members may access equipment to work on non-members films if they are the sole operator of the equipment rented.
9. The LIFT member who rents and signs for the equipment accepts full liability for any loss or damage incurred while equipment is in their possession, regardless of fault.
BOOKING AND CANCELLING EQUIPMENT
10. Only Production and Organizational members in good standing may book and sign for LIFT equipment. All outstanding debts must be paid prior to new bookings or store purchases.
11. Production and Organizational members may book equipment up to six (6) weeks in advance. Confirmation is required two weeks prior to the booking. All equipment and facilities bookings must be made through the Technical Administrator or Technical Coordinator. No other staff can make bookings regardless of the circumstances.
12. The Technical Coordinator must be notified of equipment booking cancellations at least two (2) business days in advance of the date booked or the member will be charged the full rental fee for the entire booking. Cancellations of Facilities bookings require at least two (2) business days notice in advance of the booked date or the member will be charged the full facility fee for the entire booking. Recipients of LIFT Production Grants will be required to pay for any rentals and/or facilities bookings canceled without sufficient notice.
13. All equipment must be picked up between 2:00pm - 5:00pm. Members who have equipment booked must sign for equipment during office hours. Members who are unable to pick up must inform LIFT who will pick up on their behalf. The pick up person must provide contact information and valid photo identification. Members must make pre-arrangements to sign and pay prior to the release of the equipment. For the Arri III, Arri BL4, Aaton XTR Prod, Sony F3, RED Epic Mysterium-X or any PL mount lens the camera operator must be present during pick up to sign the equipment rental contract.
14. All equipment must be returned between 10:00am - 12:00pm on the pre-arranged return date. Any member who returns equipment after 12:00pm will be charged an extra day of rental fees. If a late equipment return results in equipment not being available to the next renter, the member will be responsible for all costs of renting the same or equivalent equipment from a commercial rental house in addition to the late return charge.
15. None of LIFT's equipment may be picked up and returned on Saturday, Sunday, or after hours. Productions that require equipment on Friday nights after 6:00pm or Monday mornings before 10:00am must be rented for the weekend with the weekend rate of 1.5 days.
16. Every member is responsible for LIFT equipment booked under his / her name. When a member signs the equipment rental contract s / he agrees that the equipment was in good working order when it was picked up. If the equipment is lost or returned damaged the member is liable for all repair or replacement costs. Any damaged or lost equipment will be charged an additional 10% administrative fee on top of the cost of repair / replacement. If more then thirty (30) days expires between the return and payment for damage or replacement LIFT will engage external collection agencies to secure payment. If the damage or loss is determined to be negligent or outside of LIFT's insurance policies the member renting the equipment will be liable for all costs associated with damage or loss of the rental item including scheduled and projected rentals.
17. Members who book equipment from LIFT are liable for an insurance deductible, in the event of loss or damage of equipment while in their possession. If loss or damage is not covered by the insurance, the member is liable for the full replacement cost of equipment. Any insurance deductible or replacement debt is payable within 30 days. Any accounts outstanding beyond this period will be subject to collections through external agencies.
18. Any member who does not return rental equipment, post-production equipment, or leave facilities clean and in an immediately useable state shall be charged a cleaning fee of $50.00.
19. All members must pay for their equipment rental and / or facility use at the time of pick up or usage. After hours facility users must pay in advance for facility usage. There are no exceptions. If an after hours user goes over the booked time slot, they can pay for the extra hour(s) on the next LIFT business day. Long-term facilities bookings (block, weekly, or monthly rentals) can be subject to weekly billing at the discretion of the Technical Administrator.
20. LIFT accepts the following payment methods for production equipment and post-production equipment rentals; cash, credit (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), or debit. Cheques are not accepted.
21. LIFT does not issue refunds for equipment rentals or store items. If applicable, equipment rental credit can be issued in place of refunds, which can only be applied to future equipment rentals.
POST PRODUCTION BOOKING POLICY
22. Production Members who wish to access LIFT facilities outside of office hours must purchase an access card at the price of $10.00. The access cards are activated only after a booking. Lost cards must be reported to LIFT staff immediately.