416.588.6444 | 1137 Dupont Street Toronto, Ontario M6H 2A3 Canada | MONDAY-FRIDAY, 10AM-6PM
LIFT RENTAL POLICY
Updated July 2012
Equipment Pick-Ups: 2:00pm - 5:00pm (Day before shooting date)
Equipment Returns: 10:00am - 12:00noon (Day after shooting date)
LIFT bills weekends as 1.5 days (Friday to Monday), and weekly (7 days) rentals at 4 days.
LIFT does not rent to non-members under any circumstances.
All Production members and/or representatives from Organizational members coming to pick-up gear must provide a current photo ID (valid driver's license or passport, NO health cards).
BEFORE YOU RENT EQUIPMENT
1. The use of LIFT equipment and facilities constitutes a form of production assistance to the filmmaker by LIFT, and as such LIFT must be fully acknowledged and credited in the title and/or credit sequence of any film, video, or new media production receiving such assistance. Logos are available in the about section of the LIFT website.
2. Every member must demonstrate adequate technical competence to the satisfaction of the Technical Coordinator on each piece of LIFT equipment they wish to rent. This may include a written or hands on proficiency test.
3. Members who do not possess sufficient knowledge or experience to operate a piece of LIFT equipment that they wish to rent must take an orientation session and a test on that piece of equipment. Fees for an orientation session are $50 per hour with a 2 hours minimum per orientation. Requests for orientations should be made one week in advance of date needed. LIFT also provides three seasons of workshops per year offering a wide range of classes covering all equipment available through LIFT.
4. Members wishing to rent the Arri III, Arri BL4, Aaton XTR Prod, Sony F3 and/or any PL mount lenses must be and/or employ an experienced camera operator. LIFT considers a cinematographer / camera person as someone who has provided proof of current membership in a union motion picture department (video department not included) and a copy of their cinematographers resume. All qualified, but non-union operators are subject to a hands on test. The Technical Coordinators will make the final judgment on whether the camera person will be put on the Arri III / Arri BL4 / Aaton XTR Prod / Sony F3 / PL mount lens User List.
5. We encourage all equipment renters to come in to test the equipment prior to the rental date. Camera renters (especially renters of the Arri III, Arri BL4, Arri SR II and Aaton XTR Prod) are encouraged to perform lens and registration tests on the camera one week prior to the rental date. There is no rental cost for doing tests in house. Members should call a Technical Coordinator to book equipment and space at LIFT to perform the camera tests.
6. Members wishing to take LIFT equipment outside Canada, or wishing to transport LIFT equipment by air, must seek pre-approval and consult with the LIFT staff to find out how to make necessary insurance, customs, and shipping arrangements prior to booking equipment.
7. Any member wishing to book equipment for a period longer than two (2) weeks must make a request via email. Decisions on long-term rentals are at the discretion of the LIFT staff.
8. No member shall have full access to LIFT equipment for a production in which she does not maintain copyright and have creative control. LIFT equipment cannot be used on commercial productions. Production members may access equipment to work on non-members films if they are the sole operator of the equipment rented.
9. The LIFT member who rents and signs for the equipment accepts full liability for any loss or damage incurred while equipment is in their possession, regardless of fault.
BOOKING AND CANCELLING EQUIPMENT
10. Only Production and Organizational members in good standing may book and sign for LIFT equipment.
11. Production and Organizational members may book equipment up to six (6) weeks in advance.
12. The Technical Coordinator must be notified of equipment booking cancellations at least two (2) business days in advance of the date booked or the member will be charged the full rental fee for the entire booking. Cancellations of Facilities bookings require at least two (2) business days notice in advance of the booked date or the member will be charged the full facility fee for the entire booking. Recipients of LIFT Production grants will be required to pay for any rentals and/or facilities bookings canceled without sufficient notice.
13. All equipment and facilities bookings must be made through the Technical Coordinators (no other staff can make bookings regardless of the circumstances). All equipment must be picked up between 2:00pm - 5:00pm and dropped off before 12:00noon on the pre-arranged return date. Any member who returns equipment after 12:00noon will be charged an extra day of rental fees. If a late equipment return results in equipment not being available to the next renter, the member will be responsible for all costs of renting the same or equivalent equipment from a commercial rental house in addition to the late return charge.
14. Members who have equipment booked must pickup and sign for equipment during office hours. For the Arri III, Arri BL4, Aaton XTR Prod, Sony F3 or any PL mount lens the camera operator must be present during pick up to sign the contract.
15. Every member is responsible for LIFT equipment booked in his / her name. When a member signs the equipment rental contract s / he agrees that the equipment was in good working order when it was booked out. If the equipment is lost or returned damaged the member is liable for all repair or replacement costs. Any damaged or lost equipment will be charged an additional 10% administrative fee on top of the cost of repair / replacement. If more then 30 days expires between the return and payment for damage or replacement LIFT will engage external collection agencies to secure payment. If the damage or loss is determined to be negligant or outside of LIFT's insurance policies the member renting the equipment will be liable for all costs associated with damage or loss of the rental item inculing scheduled and projected rentals.
16. Members who book equipment from LIFT are liable for an insurance deductible, in the event of loss or damage of equipment while in their possession. If loss or damage is not covered by the insurance, the member is liable for the full replacement cost of equipment. Any insurance deductible or replacement debt is payable within 30 days. Any accounts outstanding beyond this period will be subject to collections via external agencies.
17. Any member who does not return post-production equipment or leave facilities clean and in an immediately useable state shall be charged a cleaning fee of $50.
18. All members must pay for their equipment rental and / or facility use at the time of pick-up or usage. After hours facility users must pay in advance for facility usage (during office hours). There are no exceptions. If an after hours user goes over the booked time slot, they can pay for the extra hour(s) on the next LIFT business day. Long-term facilities bookings (block, weekly or monthly rentals can be subject to weekly billing at the discretion of the technical co-ordinators).
19. LIFT accepts the following payment methods for production equipment and post-production equipment rentals; cash, credit (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), or debit. Cheques are not accepted.
POST PRODUCTION BOOKING POLICY
20. Members who wish to access LIFT facilities outside of office hours must purchase a swipe card at the price of $10. Lost cards must be reported to LIFT staff immediately.