Please Note: LIFT's membership structure has changed as of July 1, 2012. New and returning members should read the following closely. Current members should see the notice regarding changes to the membership structure here.
The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto (LIFT) is an artist-run cultural and educational media arts organization dedicated to celebrating excellence in the moving image. LIFT exists to provide support and encouragement for independent filmmakers and artists through affordable access to production, post-production and exhibition equipment; professional and creative development; workshops and courses; commissioning and exhibitions; artist-residencies; and a variety of other services. Membership is open to anyone interested in the centre and its activities.
All memberships are annual and expire one year to the end of the month in which they were subscribed.
Memberships are based on a calendar month.
Memberships are non-refundable and / or transferable.
APPLYING FOR A MEMBERSHIP
Applications can be mailed to or dropped off at:
1137 Dupont Street
Toronto, Ontario M6H 2A3
A COMPLETED MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION CONSISTS OF
- Membership Application Form
- Contact of three (3) non-spouse/family member, character references
- Signed Hold Harmless Form
- Copy of Photo ID (valid drivers' license or passport only)
- Payment (mail: cheque payable to LIFT or in person: cash, debit or credit card)
DOWNLOAD MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Applications can be found in the attachments below - current as of July 1, 2012
By LIFT: Membership will be suspended by LIFT if any bills go unpaid for longer than 90 days, or if any bills go unpaid larger than $300. During a suspension due to overdue payments membership expiry does not change.
By Member: Membership can be suspended voluntarily for one period (up to a maximum of 6 months) during each one year membership term. After the 6 months, the membership will be automatically reinstated by the Membership and Communications Coordinator. A formal written request must be sent at least 2 weeks in advance of the start of the suspension. If a member suspends membership they will not have access to any membership benefits during the period of the suspension. Upon the reinstatement of membership the member will carry all benefits to their original expiry date plus the number of months membership was suspended.
Cost: $80 per year
General Member Benefits:
- Receive weekly e-bulletin
- Post free listings of their productions screenings/broadcasts in the e-bulletin
- Entitled to member rates on workshops and courses
- Entitled to member rates on LIFT Store items
- Entitled to member admission rate for LIFT screenings
- Entitled to LIFT member discounts with various partners
- Inclusion on LIFT’s online Cast and Crew Listings (currently offline until Winter 2013)
- Ability to attend LIFT’s Screenwriters Circle
- If in good standing, member is entitled to apply for the LIFT Production Support Program (announced annually) and apply for other opportunities provided by LIFT to current members.
- General Members may not access equipment or facilities rentals and must upgrade to the Production Membership to do so (please note: when upgrading you will still expire at your original expiry date)
Upgrading to Production Membership:
Any General member in good standing may become a Production member by paying an additional fee of $70.00 (please note: when upgrading you will still expire at your original expiry date). Thereafter, maintenance of the Production Membership is an annual $150.00 membership fee.
Cost: $150 per year
All benefits of General
membership and equipment access. As of July 1, 2012 there is only one rental rate for all
Reference check is required.
Production Member Benefits:
- All General Member benefits
- Rent production and post-production equipment/facilities
- Advanced booking of production and post-production equipment six (6) weeks in advance
VISITING ARTIST MEMBERSHIPS:
LIFT provides all benefits of LIFT membership to visiting artists from other regions of Canada (outside Ontario), who are members of an Independent Media Arts Alliance (IMAA) member production centre (distribution and presentation centres excluded).
Visiting artist memberships are valid for a maximum of eight (8) weeks per year. Confirmation of membership level, good standing and a positive reference from your local centre is required prior to extending LIFT rental privileges. It is recommended to allow at least two (2) weeks for Visiting Artist membership to be set-up.
Organizational Memberships are only available for non-profit media arts production centers, festivals, galleries, arts education and training institutions, social justice and other not for profit organizations. As per LIFT’s mandate, commercial enterprises, production companies and other for profit groups are not eligible for organizational memberships with LIFT. Contact Membership for more details.
$150/year under $1 million
$250/year over $1 million operating budget
Organization Member Benefits:
- Receive weekly e-bulletin
- Ability to post unlimited listings for upcoming events, call for submissions, and jobs, etc.
- Staff members entitled to members’ discount on seasonal workshops and courses (must be arranged in advance)
- Advanced booking of equipment and facilities up to six (6) weeks in advance
- Access to production/presentation equipment and post-production facilities at the Production Member’s rate for organizational productions