416.588.6444 | 1137 Dupont Street Toronto, Ontario M6H 2A3 Canada | MONDAY-FRIDAY, 10AM-6PM
The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto (LIFT) is an artist-run cultural and educational media arts organization dedicated to celebrating excellence in the moving image. LIFT exists to provide support and encouragement for independent filmmakers and artists through affordable access to production, post-production and exhibition equipment; professional and creative development; workshops and courses; commissioning and exhibitions; artist-residencies; and a variety of other services. Individual memberships are open to anyone interested in the centre and its activities.
General, Production and Organizational memberships are annual and expire one year to the end of the month in which they were subscribed. Memberships are based on a calendar month.
NOTE: Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.
APPLYING FOR A MEMBERSHIP
Applications can be mailed the office:
1137 Dupont Street
Canada M6H 2A3
or dropped off during office hours:
Monday - Friday, 10am - 6pm (ideally before 5:30pm)
Applications can also be e-mailed to membership(at)lift.on.ca
A COMPLETED MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION CONSISTS OF
- Membership Application Form (see PDFs at the bottom of this page)
- Signed and Dated Hold Harmless Form
- Payment (mail: cheque payable to LIFT; in person: cash, debit or credit card; over the phone with credit card)
- Contact of three (3) character references (only for Production Members)
(references cannot be spouse/partner, family members or current LIFT staff)
DOWNLOAD MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Applications can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this page.
By LIFT: Membership will be suspended by LIFT if any bills go unpaid for longer than 90 days, or if any bills go unpaid larger than $300. During a suspension due to overdue payments membership expiry does not change.
By Member: Membership can be suspended voluntarily for one period (up to a maximum of 6 months) during each one year membership term. After the 6 months, the membership will be automatically reinstated by the Deputy Director. A formal written request must be sent at least 2 weeks in advance of the start of the suspension. If a member suspends membership they will not have access to any membership benefits during the period of the suspension. Upon the reinstatement of membership the member will carry all benefits to their original expiry date plus the number of months membership was suspended.
Cost: $80 per year
General Member Benefits:
- Receive weekly e-bulletin
- Post free listings of their productions screenings/broadcasts in the e-bulletin
- Entitled to member rates on workshops and courses
- Entitled to member rates on LIFT Store items
- Entitled to member admission rate for LIFT screenings
- Entitled to LIFT member discounts with various partners
- Ability to attend LIFT’s Screenwriters Circle
- If in good standing, member is entitled to apply for the LIFT Production Support Program (announced annually) and apply for other opportunities provided by LIFT to current members.
- Discounted rates on workshops with partner organizations
(Current partnerships include discounts workshop rates with Gallery 44 Centre for Contemporary Photography and Toronto Animated Image Society)
- General Members may not access equipment or facilities rentals and must upgrade to the Production Membership to do so (please note: when upgrading you will still expire at your original expiry date)
Upgrading to Production Membership:
Any General member in good standing may become a Production member by paying an additional fee of $70.00 (please note: when upgrading you will still expire at your original expiry date). Thereafter, maintenance of the Production Membership is an annual $150.00 membership fee.
Cost: $150 per year
All benefits of General membership and equipment access. As of July 1, 2012 there is only one rental rate for all members.
Reference check is required. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing.
Production Member Benefits:
- All General Member benefits
- Rent production and post-production equipment/facilities
- Advanced booking of production and post-production equipment up to six (6) weeks in advance
Organizational Memberships are available for artist-run centers, festivals, art galleries, arts education and training institutions, and other non-for-profit or charitable organizations. Proof of non-for-profit or charitable status is required. Unincorporated collectives operating on a not-for-profit basis that receive funding (from one of the three level of Arts Councils) for project grants are also eligible to apply.
As per LIFT's funding mandate, commercial enterprises, film/digital production companies and other for-profit groups are not eligible for organizational memberships.
Organizational Membership: Level 1
Cost: $150 annually
(Operating budget under $1,000,000)
Organizational Membership: Level 2
Cost: $250 annually
(Operating budget over $1,000,000)
Organization Member Benefits:
- Rent production equipment and post-production facilities at the Production Member’s rate for organizational productions
- Booking of production equipment and post-production facilities up to six (6) weeks in advance
- Staff members entitled to member discount on seasonal workshops and courses (list of staff provided by organization contact person)
- Receive member’s weekly e-bulletin
Post unlimited listings for upcoming screenings, events, call for submissions, fundraising campaigns, employment opportunities, etc.
- Note: Any staff of the organization must join as an individual member to rent equipment and facilities for personal projects
Download an organizational membership application for full details.
VISITING ARTIST MEMBERSHIPS:
LIFT provides rentals benefits* of LIFT membership to visiting artists from other regions of Canada (outside the Greater Toronto Area), who are members of an Independent Media Arts Alliance (IMAA) member production centre (distribution and presentation centres excluded).
* No other LIFT membership benefits are accessible with the LIFT Visiting Artists Membership.
Visiting artist memberships are valid for the duration of your rental, up to a maximum of eight (8) weeks per calendar year. Email confirmation to membership(at)lift.on.ca of membership level, good standing and a positive reference from your local centre is required prior to extending LIFT rental privileges.
It is recommended to allow at least two (2) weeks for Visiting Artist membership to be set-up.
If you reside in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), you will have to apply for a regular Production Membership.
Cost: $25 CDN per month
International Memberships are only available for individual artists living outside of Canada and on
a month-to-month basis. It is recommended to allow at least two (2) weeks for International Memberships to be set-up.
Note: Approval of LIFT International Membership cannot be used to support any immigration or Canadian Visa application.